This year's Banned Books Week is September 21-27. This week always sneaks up on me every year, so as always I made a last minute decision (last night) on what I am going to read.
Every year during Banned Books Week, I always read one of the top ten banned and challenged books from the previous year. Here is the list of the top ten challenged books in 2013:
- Captain Underpants (series), by Dav Pilkey
- The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
- Fifty Shades of Grey, by E.L. James
- The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- A Bad Boy Can Be Good for A Girl, by Tanya Lee Stone
- Looking for Alaska, by John Green
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
- Bless Me Ultima, by Rudolfo Anaya
- Bone (series), by Jeff Smith
I might also check out A Bad Boy Can Be Good for A Girl, since I haven't heard of that one before.
I encourage everyone to read a banned book during this week, and never stop celebrating your freedom to read!